Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Infidel--my review vs. others and you got to see for yourself.


It's a funny coincidence that I just happened on a review of Infidel, written by someone whose opinion I enjoy reading.  She disliked it, a lot.   I liked it, a lot.

I think it's technically more of an autobiography than a Memoir.  Wiktionary says:

A memoir differs from a simple autobiography by not focusing on the author as the primary subject matter, but on people and events in the author's life. Emphasis is placed on personal observations about external events.

There are a few places in the book where she reacts to external events, but most of it is simply autobiographical--what she did; where she went; etc.

The reviewer and I are in agreement that it is an uneven book.  At some times Ms. Ali is deeply introspective and at other times, superficial.  But I don't think she shows a lack of empathy and I don't think she needs to get psychotherapy to work out her father issues.   She's not mad at her father--she's mad at her culture.  Her religion.

Not to say I came away applauding Ms. Ali.  Many times she showed a severe lack of judgement by making  inflammatory remarks and then professing surprise at the reactions they provoked.  But she wasn't a career politician; not a debater or a trained diplomat--she was thrust into those roles and didn't seem to know when to say, "no."  Did that hurt her cause?  Maybe--but it got her issue (oppression of women in Muslim societies) some air time.  She didn't know when to shut up. 

The biggest insight I gained from this work is this: Islam is a danger to the modern world.  Islam isn't a religion; it's a way of life. If you are a true believer, your family will demonstrate your devotion and if they don't, they must be compelled to conform or be cast out.  And it's literal--when the prophet says, "wage war on the unbelievers," that's what it means to many, many people.  To the men who murdered filmmaker Theo van Gogh.  To the Ayatollah Kohmeini who issued the fatwa against Salman Rushdie.  To the hundreds of fathers and brothers who murder young girls for committing adultery.

I think this book should be read.  I think it's truth.  Maybe a greater person would have lived a nobler life--but this is a life that was lived.  Period.










No comments: