Sunday, May 19, 2013

I did little else, but I finished



         This Incomperable Lande: A Book of American Nature Writing,
                        edited by Thomas J. Lyon


It only added two books to my amazon.com wish list.

No criticism of the book, the selection of pieces, or the writers represented, but the book really didn't do much for me.  His introduction--three whole chapters of it--was dry.  If I were to assemble such a collection I'd limit my introductions to afew paragraphs at the front of each piece.

It would have been a good anthology to skim through in order to pick out some writers I wanted to follow at length.  But each author was represented by ten or more pages--too long to skim; too short to fall in love with.

But the main issue was me, not the book.  Nature writing is something I read at leisure, when there's time to splurge on images, re-read whole sections out loud to feel the rhythm, make pictures from words, be there.  To close my eyes and walk the paths they relate.  I didn't take the time to do that...and so I didn't really read this book.

No comments: