Thursday, May 16, 2013

Vegetable arden or flower garden?

Foreground: Arugula gone to flower.  Background: sage and lots of happy bees.
 
Whew--relief!  Slight relief but I'll take all I can get.   When I want meat and don't have time to go to Local Yokal (their hours are somewhat restrictive for a commuter), I stop off at Whole Foods Market.   But I've been more and more suspicious about the meat I buy at Whole Foods Market--it may be organic and free of antibiotics, but it's not necessarily humanely raised.  I just did a check on "Applegate Naturals."  Their web site has an excellent spin doctor.  Their animals have space, good food, good treatment--but nowhere does it use the words "pastured" or "free range."  Not in a cursory search, anyway.

So it's better than CAFO, but not what I prefer.

The ham I just bought, labeled "Niman Ranch," is a winner!  .It says right there on their web site,
    Livestock are raised outdoors
I'm bookmarking those guys.

No comments: