Sunday, December 29, 2013

Cereal with bananas

...is not as good as cereal with sugar and bananas.  Sigh.

                          Domestic Arrangements by Norma Klein

             Wins the award for the worst book cover designed by man--


It reads like this:
"How did the interview go?" said Joshua.
"Okay.  I hope I didn't come off too silly," I said.
Joshua rubbed my breasts.  We had sex.  Then we curled up in blankets in front of the fire.
I really didn't know how I felt about all this.  Dad was clearly wrong.  Our relationship wasn't all about sex.  We talked about lots of things.
Next day I....


Does that give you the idea?  (This thing reads like stereo instructions!)

I was just curious enough that I wanted to skip to the end and be done with it...but it's part of the 100-book Challenge.  And it wasn't quite bad enough to give up on.

Or so I thought.   For a book that was primarily concerned with sex, contraception and love, the only thing vaguely interesting was the narrator's desire to be a "doctor who delivers babies" some day.  She's only fourteen--I guess she never heard of the term obstetrician.   It doesn't matter, though.  Clearly she's going to grow up to be a clueless idiot like the rest of the people in the story.

No comments: