Sunday, December 1, 2013

Good movie alert

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) Poster


Catching Fire--even in the front row, thoroughly enjoyable.  Disturbing trend in movie-making to cast children as killers.






I struggled through to the end of My Sweet Audrina by V. C. Andrews.  Just for the reading challenge.

On Goodreads, one star means "didn't like it" and two stars means "it was okay."  So I'm going to give this one-and-one-half stars.  In all honesty, I didn't like it.  I wasn't interested in reading a story about a freakshow family, two messed up girls (and then a third) who'd seen so little of normal human love that they couldn't help but grow up functionally insane.  A few people showed a perverted kind of love that caused more hurt than pleasure; everyone else seemed to hate everyone and be determined to live their lives as miserably as possible.  The one person who was somewhat sane turned out to be, "a brutal, evil man when it all came down to it."

Other than the fact that I disliked it royally, it wasn't a poorly written story...if that's what you're interested in.  I suspect that most of its popularity came from teenagers who snuck it into the house in their book bags and searched out the dirty parts with flashlights under the covers.  Everyone and everything seems to be about sex, and even the most normal of couplings are a little unclean.

To sum up--if my teenage daughter were going to sneak something forbidden off  my bedside table, I'd vastly prefer she found a Sandra Brown "romance" there.  At least the sex is fun.


No comments: