Monday, December 30, 2013

Loved


Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko, audiobook read by Kerby Heyborne

(I thought the author was a man all the time I was listening to this.  How odd.)

It was adorable!  Is it polite to say that about a book?  I hope so, because I'm saying it.  It's one of those well-written children's books set in an unusual place, a curious time, and peopled with wildly interesting characters.  Moose--the hardheaded boy who loves both baseball and his "little" sister, despite being forced to choose between the two of them for a time.  His autistic sister who has to stay ten years old forever because his mother can't stand the pain of seeing her son grow up and do things that her daughter will never be able to do.  Conniving Piper, the warden's daughter.  Clever Theresa, the eight-year-old welcome wagon.

And Moose's mother and father, simple, hard-working folk who will never give up trying to find help for their daughter's disability.  I like people who don't give up.

(I like Frodo Baggins, too, but that's not the point.)  This one's a jewel.

No comments: