Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Year of the book challenge!

I'm ready to sum up my one-year, 100-book challenge.  It seems a little stupid in retrospect, but at least it made me read something new instead of just picking up the same old junk.  I got rid of a few books that had been hanging around my neck for years, but I added as many more.
The winners were:




The Shelf Discovery books trended out like this:
    Read: 57  Gave up on: 3
    Loved: 3
    Glad I read: 19
    Could have lived without: 32
    Loathed: 3 (plus the 3 I skipped)

My (mostly) apathetic results weren't caused by the books' target audience.  Some of the YA books became new forever favorites; some of the grown-up books had to be skimmed or skipped altogether.  And since a lot of the YA books were short, I didn't waste a whole lot of time on them. 

It was fun to be a kid again.  But next year, I'm going to seriously concentrate on clearing out my shelves.   I have a list (always!) of about 50 books that need to be read, re-read, or discarded.  No excuses!

Starting tomorrow.

No comments: