Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Followup on Wifey

By the way, I found a foreword for Wifey by Judy Blume and I also read all of the auto-biographical data on her web site.  Norman is not a real person--she says--but many of his characteristics were borrowed from men she knew.  The breakup of her first marriage inspired the book--maybe not the sexual liberation parts, but definitely the ideological liberation ones.  She left the marriage and took her two kids, and I'm sure she believes shedid the right thing.  Maybe the reason she didn't end up Wifey with a decisive, glorious breakup was a sign of the strength of her writing.  She's making us readers write our own endings...and lovely they be.



Meanwhile....
I finished Melanie Martin Goes Dutch by Carol Weston. 

I need to be careful which kids books I choose to read.  Some, like Saffy's Angel, are funny at any age.  And others, like The Great Brain, have a classic charm that wins you over.  But this one wasn't "age appropriate" for me.

I think I'd have adored it when I was younger.  I'd probably have clamored to be taken to the library so I could check out the rest of the series.  But, since I don't really know what I would have thought, I'll refrain from giving it a "star" rating on Goodreads.com.  It's not fair to take a chance on skewing its rating with my old fuddy-duddy opinion.

No comments: