Thursday, December 5, 2013

Time for a new audiobook!

Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro

Disclaimer: I listened to it on the IPod, but for the first time in my audiobook experience, I wish I'd read it on paper.  Because... It dragged. A lot. Before it even reached the halfway point I started muttering under my breath...waiting, endlessly waiting, to find out what "the big secret" was. At times I even said it out loud--
          "Enough already! Tell us the big secret and get on with the story!"

Most infuriating quote ever:
             "But I'll get to that later."
When he finally "got to that", the focus switched to why it was happening and how it happened and that made for an ending of shivering surreality. You'd cry for these poor kids if that wouldn't have meant admitting that they could have been real people in a real world and maybe they were and we just didn't know it!

If I'd been reading the book with my eyes on paper, my pace would have been roughly 4x the speed of the audio version, and I think I'd be giving this book a solid 4 stars--really liked it.

No comments: