Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A sokay for me, sorry

Frederica
by Georgette Heyer

If I'd read this before reading The Grand Sophie, I'd have liked it.  As it was it seemed like just a weak imitation (or a dim shadow) of the other work.  I still believe that Georgette Heyer is a really good author in the genre, but while reading this one, I was reminded of why I'm really not too fond of the genre--boring, stuffy English people fiddling around with parties and 'coming out' balls instead of doing something real that might benefit society.  Or themselves.

With the other book, I was enraptured by the dynamic, cunning character of Sophie.  The heroine here--Frederica--is not half so interesting as the hero and he's a bit of a bore.  A good-hearted bore who likes poking the hot air out of his sisters' lofty balloons--that's his redeeming characteristic.  Sokay.


No comments: