Sunday, January 22, 2017

love story that works

Eleanor and Park

Rainbow Rowell does not disappoint.  Well...just a teeny tiny bit, at the end.  I wanted a little more thought behind the inaction, but that's okay.  I wasn't mad about it.

Yes, I'm being purposely obtuse.  Eleanor is a new girl in school--the mean kids call her Big Red and torment her accordingly.  Park is an oldtimer in the neighborhood who doesn't fit in but doesn't get picked on--he's been around for too long, keeps his head down, and has friends.  You know they'll end up together on account of the book title, but in the beginning you begin to wonder how?

The audiobook narration was superb, with different actors voicing the two alternating stories.  I usually hate the alternating narrator style, but she pulled it off and I loved it.  In fact, she's the only author I ever read who did it for the right reasons and did it right. Superb!

No comments: