Saturday, January 7, 2017

Good to occupy the mind while driving

Dreamland Social Club

Short YA book about a girl rediscovering her mother's life among the Coney Island Beach freak show artists. I'm not at all sure how closely its based on a real place and time--I'm okay if it's not, but by using a real place and time, it ought to be. Otherwise the readers will come away with a distorted view of reality and that's not fair.

I listened to the audiobook so maybe there's a disclaimer in a preface or afterword in the paper copy.  Or maybe it's really based on the place, see: http://www.taraaltebrando.com/about-dreamland-social-club/ for more info.

I enjoyed it but wasn't overwhelmed by it. I was very pleased that the author didn't oversimplify anything or trivialize anyone--no good guys and bad guys here, just people.  Interesting people.

No comments: