Saturday, January 14, 2017

Vacation read of top enjoyment

Walking Man
by Robert Wehrman

I really wanted to love this but simply didn't, for all that I devoured it in two large bites-- on the airplane and on my first day of vacation.  Colin Fletcher was a complex guy and had a complicated life, and Mr. Wehrman didn't gloss over any details. But neither did he make them sing.

The section on the writing of The Man From The Cave disappointed me. Of course he (Fletcher) had already told it all in the book; there was no point in repeating it.  But I'd hoped for some deeper insight into the connectedness he felt with his research subject.

So I'd say Mr. Wehrman did an extremely good job of research but didn't put his parts together so well.  The writing was just a tad bland, and he seemed to be going off in too many different directions with his conclusions.  But I still enjoyed the book, a lot.

No comments: