Thursday, January 12, 2017

Fruits of Hawaii

I don't know why apple bananas are seldom seen on the mainland, but I assume it's because people know only the boring, green, watery taste of commercial bananas.  That's okay by me--if people don't know what they're missing, more for me!

We also tried a few "ice cream apple bananas" and didn't like them very much.  Maybe they just weren't ripe--they seemed hard and tasteless.

Then we split and shared a fruit that we all adored.  We could have eaten ten of them.  Each.  I didn't catch what the name was--it was roundish, slightly asymmetrical with a bit of a stem like a mango, but this was no mango!  It was creamy, like a pureed peach.  Best guess is that it might have been an apple guava--



Kumquat  
We ate a few kumquat and were mostly underwhelmed.  Very tangy.  If I ever see a jar of kumquat jelly I'll grab it.







Of course, we had to try out the rambutan.  Despite their forbidding exterior, they're easy to pull apart and such down the soft berry inside.  Wish we'd bought more.



And finally, a star fruit.   (I'm not counting the avocado because I eat them all the time, but this was huge and perfect and possibly the best avocado I ever tasted.)


The star fruit was pretty good but not super sweet--you eat it skin and all.  I'd eat more of them but probably not buy them at a grocery store.  Fruit bought at a farmer's market and eaten on a log at the beach while watching kite surfers is always going to taste better than fruit at the store. 

Heavy sigh.









No comments: