Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Good adventure but missing a sense of place

A Long Way From Nowhere
A Couple's Journey on the Continental Divide Trail

by Julie Urbanski,Matt Urbanski


I gobbled this up and enjoyed it no end, but I'll only recommend it to people who love traveling and hiking but are stuck in one place for a while.  I enjoyed the people--the man and woman alternating chapters along the way. But I didn't feel like I was really there--I was a spectator watching them be there, but I was somewhere else and that place was far, far away.  It was like the difference between watching a narrated slideshow versus watching a big-screen movie with surround sound.  I wanted the full deal; I got the slideshow.

They're really cool people and had some wonderful times, and I appreciate the chance to read about their journey. I'd gladly read a second volume--how's that for a recommendation?

No comments: