Thursday, June 21, 2018

Walking, eating and dogs--a trifecta for me

Walking With Peety
The Dog Who Saved My Life

Eric O'Grey with Mark Dagostino

Even better than I expected!  The blurbs on the back cover say more than I could hope to repeat, so I'll just tell why it hit me in the soft spot.

1. He starts at the beginning, and ends just a little past the end.  (I get tired of books that start with a teaser from a quarter way through the story.)
2. He adopts an older dog--good boy!
3. He gives a day-by-day, then week-by-week, diary of his changing diet and exercise. It's funny and gives the bad right along with the good.  For example, when he came home with his doctor's recipe for rice and beans, along with the ingredients he'd purchased to make it--

...One of the cans of beans I picked up was labeled "baked beans." I hadn't really considered what that meant in the store, but I was glad now. I figured those must have some flavor to them. I read the ingredients and sure enough, they had plenty of 'seasonings' and 'natural flavors.' They also had something I didn't expect: pork.

...That struck me as strange. Why would they sell non-vegetable vegetables?

He then proceeded to cook rice, setting off the smoke detector and ending up with a chunky pile of mush surrounded by a burned crust.

But that was only his first vegetarian meal--he learned quickly. With amusing mistakes.

His dog ownership fared better, after he found out that "Raider" had never jumped into a car in his life and never seen an elevator before. Although, now that I think of it, my dogs have never seen an elevator either.

My only desire is that it could have had a little more dog and a little less Eric, but that's trivial. It's great--read it.

No comments: