Friday, June 8, 2018

Recipe Reduction 114-113

Savory Swiss Chard Pie
by Susan Voisin

It was a valiant attempt to make a shepherd's pie without potatoes, but it didn't succeed. The topping was made from tofu, nutritional yeast and potato starch, with raw cashews thrown in for their rich creaminess. Sounded interesting...but it came out with the texture of wet cornbread and almost no flavor at all. If it hadn't been for the bitterness of my nutritional yeast, which is apparently old and needs to be thrown away, it would have had absolutely no flavor at all.


I don't know what the onion powder was supposed to add, nor the pinch of nutmeg. Whatever it was, it didn't. Sorry. You can blame my technique or my yeast or even me, but I am not looking forward to finishing this.
 


Sigeumchi-namul
 by Maangchi


Simple and quick; should have been the perfect side dish. But I'm thinking my proportion of spinach to seasoning was off--too little spinach, too much seasoning.  It called for eight ounces spinach to 1-1/2 tsp soy sauce, sesame oil, and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Most likely my bag of spinach was closer to four ounces.

Try again but adjust accordingly.

No comments: