Monday, June 25, 2018

Recipe Reduction 99-98 (Under 100!!!)

Pumpkin Pie Oats
from The Crunchy Radish

When I measured out the spices, it seemed like a lot: 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, a whole teaspoon cinnamon, for just two servings of oatmeal. That's as much spice as you'd put in a entire pumpkin pie!  And sure enough, although it smelled good and tasted okay, there was a distinctly bitter aftertaste.

I was also disappointed at the (lack of) quantity of pumpkin. Pumpkin is a lovely thing and I want to get more of it in my body, but this only called for a half cup. So in a serving of about 1-1/4c cooked oats, there is only 1/4 cup pumpkin.

I'll have to put this one in the category "to find a better recipe for."
Vegetable Pita Pockets


One of those no-brainer recipes I can't believe I took the trouble to save. But since I did, I'm glad--it served as a reminder that some of the best lunches can be the easiest.

Recipe: get some pita breads, split into halves and open them up to make pockets. Sometimes they tear and become unusable, but I'll give you this secret hint: it tastes exactly the same if you tear them into pieces and eat with a fork.

Fill the pocket with chopped raw vegetables and dress with something fatty--avocado, salad dressing, hummus.

That's it!  And no cooking required. I may take these on my next airplane trip.

No comments: