Thursday, June 7, 2018

Whole family adventure--great!

 

A Life Without Borders: 
By Sailboat, Planes, Train, and RV, a Funny and Inspiring Tale of a Family's Quest to Escape the Boundaries of Their Ordinary Life


 by Carla Gray Bedell


I enjoyed this so much that as soon as it ended, I wanted to turn back and start over. A family--husband, wife, young son and younger daughter--jump out of the rat race to spend a few years on a 38-foot catamaran called Allegria. The transition wasn't easy, at first. In the rush of packing and preparing, her daughter brought home an invitation to a cookout, and the mother says no, they can't go.  Too much to do--
I angrily said to her the words that will stay with me forever, "Who said this was supposed to be fun?"
As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I realized how crazy they sounded. Who said this was supposed to be fun? Really? I just said that? If it wasn't fun, then why were we doing it? I let out a deep sigh, relaxed, and gave thanks for being blessed with such an insightful daughter. Giving Tessa a hug, I said, "You're right. This is supposed to be fun. We're going to a party!"

There was still plenty of hard work, storms at sea, scares of pirates, entry permits and customs declarations. But there was plenty of fun, too. And snorkeling. And beaches. And seafood so fresh it jumps off the plate.

I wanna go too.

No comments: