Sunday, June 17, 2018

Recipe Reduction 110-107

Stir-Fried Garlic Lettuce
from The Breath of a Wok

The recipe said to use hearts of Romaine, but I think that's unnecessary--any lettuce would do, especially the excess I got from the CSA when I already had plenty of lettuce in my own garden. But don't make the mistake I did, of trying to use lettuce that has gone to bolting--it's better that wasting my good garden lettuce, but bitter is still badder.

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Dressing
by mabcat
The sauce was way too hot and extremely limey. The fish was boring and acrid with lime.  But I used less than half of the lime juice they said!  What would have happened if I'd used it all? 

Just possibly if I'd grilled the fish instead of baking it--although the recipe said baking was a perfectly viable alternative--it would have been prettier. Not edible, but prettier.

Sometimes, with a recipe like this, I wish I could watch the author make it, and then sample his results. Because mine stunk.  Would his (or hers)?

Shrimp and Avocado Tostadas

author unknown

I love this treatment for shrimp. Just salt, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cooked quickly on the stove in a little oil. The tostada shells--from the grocery--were good too. The only corrections I would make are:

1. Large shrimp were awfully large, considering the size of the shells (about 4"). Medium would have been better.
2. Too much citrus, as always. For two avocados he wanted 2 teaspoons of lime juice. Maybe his were California avocados, but for my Haas avocados about 1/2 teaspoon was plenty.
3. After the shrimp were done, he wanted you to add 2 more teaspoons of lime juice to the pan and stir it around.  So apparently he didn't want his shrimp to taste like shrimp, but like limes.

I'll definitely do this again--with my adjustments.


Quick Pickled Red Onions

Good, but don't save the leftovers with the chunks of garlic for a week and then pull it out of the fridge and try to eat it. The garlic turns evil!

No comments: