Monday, June 18, 2018

Recipe Reduction 106-105

Early Summer Green Goddess Salad
from A Modern Way To Cook

The estimated time for this was 20 minutes and I can't argue with it because I failed to time it. (I goofed.) It could easily have been done in 15 minutes, provided your vegetables were already washed and trimmed and all of the ingredients were pre-measured. Which is never the case in a home kitchen. But okay.

As a salad goes, it's nothing remarkable--asparagus, snap peas, and edamame lightly cooked and mixed with spinach and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. All great stuff, of course. But the dressing was a pleasant surprise and even fairly low in fat--avocado, coconut milk, honey, a chile pepper, basil, cilantro, soy sauce and rice vinegar. I'm keeping the recipe, although I may rename it as Spicy Avocado Salad Dressing and add the salad ingredients as serving suggestions.


Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes
from Fat-Free Vegan

I've used ground flaxseed with water as an egg substitute before and it worked fine, so I don't know why it didn't work this time. Possibly because I just mixed them up before and didn't destroy their consistency in a blender?


In any event, the mixture failed to thicken--I could have just dipped the tomato slices in water and got the same results. When I dipped them in the cornmeal-flour mixture, they didn't pick up much coating. And when I baked them half of it fell off.

None of that really mattered because the tomatoes were too acrid to eat. Maybe some varieties of tomatoes are okay green but mine aren't.  I even tried a little extra salt, thinking it would be like eating a lemon. Yuck.



No comments: