Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Best memoir of the year


In Pieces
by Sally Field

Wow. Wow. Wow. I was bowled over from page one, or should say line one since I listened to the audio book read by the author. If her life was a can of spaghetti then  writing this memoir was like ripping the top off with a can opener and dumping it all out on the table.  Sauce, noodles and little chunks of meatlike product. All out.

Her career was equally fascinating with her personal life. I never knew Gidget only lasted one season; I never guessed how much she hated the idea of playing a chirpy little flying nun in a world where deep problems were never addressed and all the trivial disasters could be solved in a half hour minus commercials. Also I never guessed what a career suicide it was to be identified with such a well-known character and how hard she had to work to come back and be Sybil or Norma Rae.

No comments: