Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Recipe Countdown #19

Sister Virginia's Daily Loaf

I tossed the pecan pie recipe and instead made bread. Made mistakes, too. During the first rising I pronounced that "if this comes out, then I hereby declare myself as someone who can make bread."

So I skimped on the yeast--it was the last package and I'd taken 1/4 teaspoon out of it for another recipe.  I turned my back on the milk, water and lard heating on the stove and let it boil over. I added a little milk back in to make up for the loss. Then I failed to properly measure the flour I was adding and had to decide--by eyeball--when it was stiff enough.

It turned out very beautiful but not nearly as flavorful as the recipe promised. The cookbook called it a "fine white bread", and it was. But not a "flavorful white bread."

And guess what?  I can make bread!

No comments: