Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Recipe Reduction Countdown #7

The bread with wheat germ
from  Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads

Okay, I boasted I could make bread. That needs to be corrected:
I can make white bread. This Sunday I attempted a loaf of mixed whole wheat flour and bread flour. The first rising was phenomenal--the dough was strong and springy as I split it in halves to fill the two bread pans. It was beautifully brown, too.

But during the second rising I got busy with other stuff and left it too long. The larger of the two spilled over the sides of the pan and fell in the center; the smaller simply drooped. Not drastically--they still looked like bread--but not with that lovely rounded top you would expect.

Then during baking they started to burn on top more than ten minutes before the recommended baking time. I pulled one out but left the other in for the full time, and it was distinctly black on top. Oddly enough, once you cut off an inch at the top, the one with the full cooking time tasted better.

Texture on both is great and they slice well. It's certainly edible, but problematic. This time, I blame the recipe.


No comments: