Thursday, December 27, 2018

Recipe Countdown #6-5

Mapo Tofu
by Marc Matsumoto at norecipes.com

It was supposed to be a 'blazing hot' dish but my substitutions--crushed red pepper for the Szechuan peppercorns and miso for the doubanjiang--ruined any chances of that. I meant to use dried red peppers from the garden but got in a hurry; for the doubanjiang I should have substituted that red chili-garlic paste. Not authentic but still tasty.

Which is what I can say about the dish. Not authentic but tasty and, of course, a hundred times better than what I can get at the Chinese restaurant. Sigh.

Fruit-Nut Balls
from A Homemade Life

If you like dried figs, apricots, prunes and cherries, plus walnuts, powdered sugar and dark chocolate, you might like these.  They're not bad at all.  But for me, I'd rather just mix the fruit, nuts and chocolate chunks together in a bowl and eat them one piece at a time.  Because now it all just tastes like chocolate (who was that who said chocolate is an overbearing beast?  The Tipsy Baker?). But I want to taste the figs and apricots and prunes and cherries.


No comments: