Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Recipe Reduction 15-14


Buffalo Cauliflower

A decent, highly fattening junk food for vegans. Deep fry cauliflower chunks in a thin batter, sprinkle with salt, then add buffalo-style sauce. But there's the problem--there are a thousand different recipes for buffalo sauce and this one didn't make the cut. It consisted of minced garlic, tabasco-style hot sauce, and oil from the fryer. It was hot--that's all.

If I were prone to making such stomach-inflating treats, I'd track down a better sauce. Something with richness to offset the heat. Probably containing ketchup.

Note that all this complaining didn't stop me from eating ten or twenty of them.





Deb's Granola

I never met a homemade granola I didn't love. Oats, seeds, and nuts, sprinkled with cinnamon and salt, then glued together with (in this case) maple syrup, coconut oil, egg white and vanilla.  They didn't stay glued very well but what the heck--I'll eat it with a spoon.


She had me add dried cherries (unsweetened) and dried blueberries (wild). I couldn't do that without a trip to a health food store, but cheated with some grocery store dried berries, sugar added, of course. What's wrong with us if we have to add sugar to *all* our fruits. The only fruit I can think of that benefits from sugar are the sour canning-type cherries plus any fruit that isn't quite ripe. And what would be the point of drying fruit that wasn't ripe?

It was a sad compromise of my principles. But delicious.

No comments: