Saturday, October 24, 2020

Audiobook good enough to make me jog farther

Treasure of Darkness

by S. W. Hubbard


For all her faults, Ms. Hubbard pulls me in on the first page and keeps me in anxious suspense throughout. I don't like the way her heroine endlessly repeats the obvious, agonizing over her every thought. But that gets better as the book goes on and toward the end, I was barely noticing it. but I do love her characterizations, her very real people with uniquely interesting perspectives, and her main character, an estate sale organizer. Her previous book, Another Man's Treasure is a treasure--read it.

She left a plot line hanging that's I'd really hoped to see wrapped up neatly, Possibly she's going to revisit it in the next book?  I sure hope so. I can't explain it here, but I will only say that it was so very true to life and so very infuriating, that I found myself listening to the narrative with clenched fists, boiling in rage. I don't like that feeling--

But it took a really good writer to make me have it.

No comments: