Sunday, October 18, 2020

No more of these

 Staging Wars
by Grace Topping

This was the second in the Laura Bishop mystery series, and I think it will have to be the last for me. I want to like cozy mysteries--I do like cozy mysteries, but this one was so shallow and light and cutesey and quick...I dunno. The only part I really enjoyed was near the end when the heroine had to extract herself from a peculiar situation, shall I say. That was fun to read, but it didn't carry the whole book.

Her little trick to make this cozy series unique is placing a short "home staging" trick at the start of each chapter. In the first book, this was amusing and the tricks were carefully chosen to foreshadow the action of the ensuing pages. But this time, I couldn't see the connections at all and they were boring, like those ever-so-obvious home organization hints in mass-produced women's magazines. Hang a hook by the garage door to keep your car keys at hand.

Boring characters and absurd situations and blah. I give up.


No comments: