Friday, October 30, 2020

Thursday at Brooken Cove on Lake Eufala

(September 17)

We moved camp and dumped. It seemed to take a surprisingly long time--we weren't done until 11-ish. But it's true we cooked breakfast, did dishes, and tidied up the Mammoth interior before moving.

The new site sucks. I'd had to book two different sites because the first one, which was pretty much perfect, had been booked up for the weekends for pretty much forever. Now I know why.

After moving, the dogs and I took a walk around our new camping "loop". There was a road around the campsites and a chain-link fence between the road and the water. The bank looked like it was prone to caving in--big gray rocks had been piled up and held together with screen wire.  A little further along, past the rocks, we found a boat tie-up with a short sidewalk to it. And just past that was a muddy spot where the dogs and I waded out so they could get a drink and bath.



Wading in flip flops is never a great idea. I was soon stuck firm, and when I trid to pull up my feet the flip flops insisted on staying behind. They were likely to tear up if I forced them, so I leaned over and fished them out of the water, then tossed them up on the muddy shore. When Zack and Molly finished their swims we went back to camp.

...where I immediately noticed I'd lost my reading glasses. I went with Molly, walking quickly, to retrace my steps. I was just giving up when I found them in the mud, right at the edge of the place I'd gotten stuck and leaned over. Woo-hoo!

After that bit of excitement, we loaded the dogs into the truck and went to check out four campgrounds on Lake Eufala. Although they were all on the same side of the same lake, our total drive was close to 2-1/2 hours. I'm guessing--I didn't time it.  It was about 50 minutes to the first, and from there 20 to the second/third, then 20 to the fourth and another 30 minutes back to our Mammoth home. Eufaula is a big lake.

Lake Eufaula State Park was the only one we really liked, and only a few of the campsites there were acceptable. In a couple of cases, I'd venture to say "vey acceptable." But the other campgrounds were either closed in winter (after October 31), too small, too hilly to get a decent sized RV into, or just plain old unappealing.

The last place we looked--Arrowhead State Park--had a brand new campsite that was gorgeous. Sites were a little too close together, but they were new, full hookup, and the grounds were groomed like a golf course. Only problem? There was no lake. What's the point of camping on a lake if you can't see the lake? Or at least least, walk a few yards to a spot where you can see it. These beautiful campsites were in a clearing in the middle of deep woods and the closest thing any of them had to a view was the next-door-neighbor's dirty underwear spread out on a lounge chair.

We'd rather camp in a run-down park with holes in the pavement and a shared water hookup-- so long as we have a beautiful view.

One thing we learned from a chatty, delightful lady working the gate to one of the Corp. of Engineers' campgrounds--all of the Corp. parks in Oklahoma have shared water hookups. It's expected that campers use a Y-splitter or even a three-way splitter, since in many cases it's three sites that share a water hookup. She told us that the only problems they've had is when people who didn't know they were sharing and accidentally turned off the water for everyone.

It was a good drive with little adventure, but I came away feeling slightly disappointed. I'd thought we'd find all kinds of great camping spots with rocky shores, towering pines, and scenic views. But...not so much.

Later I made the additional observations on the campground we were occupying, and they were all bad. Although it was only Thursday, it was starting to fill up. The people directly behind us (consider the lake as the front) had two tables set up outside and no fewer than 11 chairs around the tables. We thought we were in for trouble after dark, for sure.

But it turned out that the chairs were for three or four kids who needed to sit down and do their homework after school (or so I presumed.) And that's what they did. I'm curious to see if they leave again tomorrow or just hang out and play. I can think of worse places to be stuck during Covid-related school shutdowns.

I'm just speculating about all of this, of course. Who knows what they're up to. maybe I'll talk to the nice woman in charge tomorrow and see,
'
They also have a yappy little dog that they put outside in a cage. Luckiily Molly is ignoring it.  Later--at about 8:30--a big fifth wheel came backign into the spot right next to us. We still have our lake view, but the shortcut across the grass to our truck parking area is now blocked. Ed had an extension cord run across there to charge the boat, and they politely asked him to move it. Later, when they were done, they knocked on our door to tell us we could put it back. Very nice of them--probably hoping to get a boat of their own some day.

I tried to take Molly for a long, pre-supper walk and got about halfway to the other campground when I was passed by a truck going way too fast. He went down the road a little ways and then came back and passed me again. By then I was feeling totally paranoid--it was nearing sunset and there were absolutely no other cars on the road. When he passed me a third time, I had my phone up to my mouth pretending to talk and getting ready to speed dial Ed. Either that did the trick, or else he was simply lost and had no interest whatsoever in harassing me.  Soon I saw a bicyclist up ahead and shortly thereafter was passed by a maintenance man in a golf cart, so I felt reassured. But still, there will be no long, pleasant walks in the dark like the one we had the night before.


No comments: