Thursday, October 1, 2020

Saturday at Yegua Creek Campground

(August 15)

Theresa's morning walk started later than usual, so Molly and I were awake and ready to tag along. The walk took less than 30 minutes--I didn't time it, but that's about what it felt like. Even though I was sweating buckets at the end, I didn't consider it enough time to be exercise. Except, of course, for my mouth.

After breakfast we all decided to go check out Somerville State Park, so we loaded our dogs in our respective vehicles and headed out. When we arrived, it was, believe it or not, "full" for day use. Even at half capacity I would have never believed it. But the nice lady at the gate let us drive around to check out the campsites.

What I saw pretty much confirmed what my online research had shown--it's not for us. It's old and crowded and hardly any of the sites have any lake view. In fact, a whole lot of them are just tiny driveways carved out in dense underbrush. You wouldn't get any breeze at all, even in a hurricane.

At a different time in our lives that might be okay but not now. We demand air, space, and if possible, some sort of view. Picky of us, but there you have it.

The sites didn't look to be very level, either, and some were awfully short. So, double no.

On the way out I suddenly remembered that there was an "overlook park" by the dam, so I gave them a quick call (they were in front of us) and suggested it. But when we tried going there, we hit a "dam road closed" sign and could not proceed. We went around Somerville to approach from the other side, but the road was closed there, too. So bah! Damn the dam road.

Instead it was back to camp for watermelon and lunch. Yum!

Funny, even at my advanced age I'm still learning things about myself. I don't normally kill wasps, especially not out in the open. In the car and on my front porch, maybe. But I've learned that I really really hate people swatting at a wasp wimpily and not making a clean kill.  If you're going to hit it, kill it! I'm not afraid of wasp stings, but if I'd gotten one due to certain people making the wasp angry, I'd have went in the RV and sulked all afternoon.

So the afternoon was so hot that it was almost but not quite unbearable. After a quick bite, we each retired to our separate RVs for naps (Ed, Bob and Theresa) and playing on our electronics (Edward and me). I organized my photos and pulled out all the best bird shots. I had so many adorable shots of Sanderlings that I couldn't choose just one.

I was just finishing up when a knock came on the door. Naps over, they'd decided to go to the beach, if you want to call it that--this is the middle of Texas and there isn't a beach within a hundred-eighty miles. What we have is a muddy spot on the side of the lake where the water doesn't get deep for a long ways out.


Bob and Theresa took their float out and took turns holding the dogs and floating in the lake. I took my floatie and Zack--he was perfectly happy lying on my stomach, floating around in the bathtub of a lake. He was practically purring.

Too soon I had to take him back and return with Mollydog, who had no interest whatsoever in swimming. Or chasing sticks. She barely got we up to her belly. But at least she wasn't trying to fight with the other dogs. Marvelous progress! She appeared to be getting used to them.

We didn't stay long. We went back to their campsite and sat around for a while, drying off, and when I returned to my Mammoth the guys were finishing supper. I warmed up my own leftovers and headed back to eat with the Bob and T, and soon we were joined by my guys.

After that I don't remember much of anything happened except us sitting around and talking for a while. Must have been a loooonnng while. And it grew dark and w went to bed. May sound boring, but it wasn't. It's what human beings do, and it's marvelous.

No comments: