Sunday, October 25, 2020

Rogers & Hammerstein galore

Something Wonderful
Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution
by Todd S. Purdum

Split personality book. First half was really something wonderful--after a short biography of each man, it goes into fascinating detail about their first ventures and how groundbreaking the musical Oklahoma was for the time. After that they undertook one called Carousel, which apparently didn't stand the test of time in popular imagination because I'd never heard of it.

But the second half of the book lost its appeal--it seemed to just drone on and on with bare facts of their lives, interesting facts and interesting lives, but nothing to make a good reading experience.

However, it did inspire me to listen to the songs from some of their musicals I hadn't heard much from--Oklahoma!, Annie Get Your Gun, and the King And I. Must better music than I'd expected.


No comments: