Friday, October 16, 2020

Thursday, Leaving Belton Lake

(September 3)

Raining again this morning. I snoozed twice and got out of bed only after the RV started rocking. Super strong wind, I thought--what kind of a day were we in for?

But when I got up it was perfectly calm except for the raindrops peppering down. The rocking was due to Ed walking on the roof to take down the satellite dish. The dogs got their walk, in the rain, and I went inside to start shutting down and packing up.



Before we could leave, we had to drop off Edward's spare clothes. He'd been thinking he'd get to come back for them, but that was not to be. I took advantage of our necessary trip to town (Belton) to skip fixing breakfast and grab McDonald's instead. It was good and greasy, but not worth the trouble. Yet I expect I'll do the exact same thing again next time the opportunity arises.

The rain had morphed from intermittent/heavy to intermittent/light by the time we left, at 11:25. We did a quick fillup at Buc'ees in North Temple, then the usual route through Corsicana and up I-45 to 635/30/190 loop around Dallas. We arrived at 2:59.

Interesting point: we were unloaded and re-hooked by 4:07. That cut seven or eight minutes our normal time of 45 minutes. Not bad.

NOTES:
1. Must find a route around Corsicana.
2. We didn't see a single roadrunner. Last time there were several sightings. but I guess it could have been a single individual accounting for them all.
3. Double, triple, and quadruple check that google maps isn't routing you on little one-lane road shortcuts. It's not necessary even if google maps does think it saves two minutes.
4. Fajitas make an easy camping supper if you marinade the meat and cut up all the veggies in advance. I even made a rub for the shrimp in advance, so all I had to do was peel it and shake it in the rub. But use less salt next time.
5. Always hook up the hummingbird feeder even if you don't see any flowers anywhere. Drat it.



No comments: