Friday, March 24, 2023

A cutey of a cozy

Daisies for Innocence
by Bailey Cattrell

I found this book surprisingly appealing. Nothing special, just a woman I like who is running a perfume/soap/candle store called Scents and Nonsense. I guess you'd call it a "scent shop". But she mixes her aromas with an eye to their gentle influence on the emotions. You could say, almost magical. And I'm sure it will be.

I see that she's written a good bit of hints and portents into the first book that will no doubt see development of future ones. I think I want to read them...at least a couple. I want to see why butterflies are attracted to her dog and why her grandmother seems to haunt her garden. And many other things.

Oh, and the mystery? Okay, I guess. A lot of times you don't read cozies for the mystery, it's just in the background and serves to keep the plot moving along. And to be honest, I couldn't even name the evildoer now, after having finished the book. I can tell you what his job was and how he did the deed, but that's about all. So I don't recommend it for the murder plot, just the "real" plot...scents and magic portents.


No comments: