Wednesday, March 1, 2023

One of my teen reads, but an especially good one


What I Lost
by Alexandra Ballard

Very enjoyable and scary look into the mind of a teenage girl with anorexia. In this case--and I hope other readers don't think it's true in all cases--her mother had some severe food issues too. She was in denial and only skirted the edges of admitting that she might be as sick as her daughter, except she was able to eat just enough to keep out of the hospital.

I didn't think the author got into her mind quite as deeply as she might, but it was well done all the same. And it would have been great if she'd explored some of the thoughts of Elizabeth's fellow committed girls, such as Lexi, the roommate who both inspired and disappointed her, and the girl with bulimia who came in for day treatment. Could she possibly be considering writing sequels for each of these characters? I'd read them all.

No comments: