Sunday, March 19, 2023

Adventures of the modern, in search of the past

 Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before
Tony Horwitz

An extremely long and very detailed description of a man's attempts to see the places Captain Cook saw. And discovered, or failed to discover. Of course it was impossible to see what he saw, except in the case of volcanoes and beaches and icebergs and deep blue oceans. The people and places had changed too much. But the story of the man's search is marvelous.

As to the book, the writing was unobtrusive and pleasant--I had no trouble reading and enjoying the adventures and the history. But I did get a little tired with the length of it. Especially in the middle, the adventure dragged me down. But it got good at the end. Very good, and it made me do some serious thinking about just how different Cook and his sailors were from the native peoples they visited. Not so much, the author concluded--and so did I. Not so much.


No comments: