Monday, March 20, 2023

A life story, told by the living

 One Hundred Saturdays:
  Stella Levi and the Search for a Lost World
Michael Frank

Just a simple memoir, by a holocaust survivor who is now in her 90s, telling her life story to a guy writing the book. After the first one-quarter or so, it got very good. My problem with the first part was simply that the details became too involved at times, describing basically the entire lifestyle of the entire population of the island of Rhodes (in Greece), It wasn't a large population, but it seemed like Stella knew them all and wanted to remember all of their customs and lore. It was important to write those memories down--they were very valuable records of a lost time and place. But that didn't mean that I was excited to absorb every tiny detail.

But all of the rest was captivating reading, and I didn't want to miss a word. I listened to the audiobook, which was good for me because it slowed me down and kept me from skipping.

Fascinating woman; fascinating life.

No comments: