Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Challenge over


Finished my 10 book challenge yesterday with


Fractured Fairy Tales told by A. J. Jacobs.

Yes, it's the same ones as those on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.  I was a devoted follower for many years of my youth--that and Yogi Bear are truly the best Saturday morning cartoons ever made although Phineas and Ferb would probably be third if (a) it had been around back then and (b) it was a Saturday morning cartoon.  Back in the 60's, Saturday mornings were special, special in a kids-only kind of way that the young whippersnappers of today will never comprehend.  If you weren't there when the cartoons were there, you missed 'em.  Period.

The book is fun, of course, but only one of the tales made me laugh out loud.  A few chuckles, for sure.  And best of all, the fairy illustrations.


I've also been remiss on my movie review obligation, probably because last weekend's movie was so forgettable it took me half of the dog walk to remember what it was.
Politically incorrect to the end, this movie showed a small group of people doing impossibly heroic things without muddying up the story by trying to hint at anything going on in their minds.  Backstories were remarkably thin.  Only the relationship between the brothers had any hint of depth.

But, hey.  It wasn't so bad.

No comments: