Monday, December 10, 2012

Coolish


The dogs got their long Monday walk today, but I can't say I didn't rush it at the end.  I couldn't find my sock cap, my scarf or my warm gloves.





I am now well ahead on my 8 week/10 book challenge, with #9---

Clearly I'm going to meet the deadline, but things don't look good for future challenges--it took me eleven days to complete a 294-page book.  Mind you, it wasn't entirely "light" reading.  And I did waste a little time browsing onto online map sites to try to figure out the tortuous routes taken by the Continental Army during their numerous hasty retreats.  But I didn't dawdle, either.

Next year's challenge is going to include books a lot bigger than this one.

So enough about me...what about the book?

It's a shocker--I never knew how close Americans came to speaking with a British accent.  The book is the story of a single year in the war that lasted eight years.  Eight years!  I never knew it.  (And note: I went though the public school system, took the required one-and-one-half years of American history, and as a consequence--I didn't know squat about the revolution.  The French were our allies?  Washington was self-educated and had no experience commanding an army?  Some of his best generals ratted him out?  He gave up Boston, New York City, AND Philadelphia?  Bunker Hill was a British victory?)

Sorry for failing to raise the spoiler alert--I assume you read it ten years ago when everyone else did.  Or else you paid attention in history class.

Given the narrow focus of the book--one year, two armies and 400 square miles of terrain--John Jakes did a great job and made me want him to write out the war.  Before now, most of what I knew about the war came from the historical novel Drums Across the Mohawk (which I also highly recommend).  And while 1776 maybe wasn't the best war book I've ever read, it was well worth the reading.

I just wish it had better maps.

Note: if there's a decent biography of Mercy Otis Warren out there, it ought to go on my wish list.  She opposed ratification of the constitution because it lacked a bill of rights.  Any recommendations?

No comments: