Tuesday, February 19, 2013

After planting more spinach, lettuce, radishes and arugula



finally finished

11/22/63 by Stephen King.





Let me start by saying that I'm not a Stephen King fan.  I was five years old in 1963 and have never had the slightest interest in the mysteries and conspiracies surrounding that date.  And...

this book was so darn good it made me want to visit the Texas school book depository and see for myself.

The genre is sci-fi/fantasy, not horror.   What if a normal, mild-mannered schoolteacher from 2011 had the opportunity to travel back in time to 1958, five years before the title date?  Plenty of time to plan out how to change the future, place a couple of "sure thing" bets, and fall in love.  Huh?  Fall in love?

I'm embarrassed to admit I've had the book for two years and only just now finished it.  About a third of the way through, there's a protracted action sequence so intense that after racing through it with my breathing on hold and my eyeballs popping off the page, I had to put the book aside and rest.  Job and life intervened and it didn't get back to the top of the pile until now.

It's getting a special place on my shelf for when I retire and can re-read books full time.

No comments: