Friday, February 1, 2013

Another book in the "leaving childhood" series,




and another winner!

Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret.  by Judy Blume




1970 cover


I don't think I ever read a Judy Blume book as a kid or even a pre-teen.  There was no especial reason for that, except I tended to chose adventure books, boy's books, and those starring horses in a leading role.  The Hobbit, Danny Dunn; Black Stallion;  Misty of Chincoteau.

But I should have, because I can really identify with Margaret.  I was happily content being a "kid" until  my eighth grade friend introduced me to makeup, fashion, and Vogue magazine.  It suddenly wasn't good enough to be me--I had to be "in" and to do that, I had to be noticed by boys.  All the girls in the class fell for the same, unbearably cute guy...the jerk who only noticed you to make fun of you.  I still wish I'd punched the lights out of Johnny Whats-his-name for messing up my chess game.

Margaret has other issues, just as I had at that age.  She's the child of a Jewish father and  a Christian mother, and they're leaving her free to make up her own mind about religion.  When she's ready.  I had a nonbelieving dad and a non-practicing mom so I, too, was on my own. I had a Christian great aunt; she had a Jewish grandmother.  I joined a Baptist church but found it disappointing; she, visited her friends' churches but didn't settle on one.  I also searched for God but only found him in the quiet of my room.

It's a book that girls of all times and all places will recognize as their own story.  Not the time or the place--the heart.

No comments: