Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book #15

is another of the young adult series.

I loved this book.  It made me cry.  I was in the dentist's waiting room at the time so I just blinked my eyes real hard a few times and tried not to sniff.

I totally identified with the heroine, Davey.  Full of emotion--in her case, way over the norm of fifteen-year-old angst--yet so willing to do the sensible thing and act like nothing was the matter.  I didn't suffer the kind of crisis she did, nothing like it.  (It opens with a funeral--her father's.)

As you'll read on the cover, she's helped out by the mysterious stranger who somehow seems to share the pain she's unable to express.  But stay awake--there are two mysterious strangers and I think the second one helped even more than the first.  He taught Davey to celebrate the life that was her father, not the death that ripped them apart.

One question it left me with--was the extreme distrust and fear that the Los Alamos people felt for the Hispanics in Santa Fe--and vice-versa--real?  It must have been--I wouldn't accuse Judy Blume of making something like that up.  So, was it accurate for the time (published 1981) or for an earlier time?.    Maybe it was set at an earlier age, closer to the war. 

No comments: