Saturday, February 9, 2013

Now, number 12...

Pride and Prejudice 
and Zombies

 by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith


All you Jane Austen fans out there will spurn me, but I found the addition of "unmentionables" actually improved the novel.  Improved it to the point that I was actually able to finish it.  I've tried reading it a couple of times, but always get stuck on the utterly boring, inconsequential, nitpicking quality of their lives.  The heroines I create visit the poor and do good before they get swept up in the arms of a dashing, unsuitable suitor.

But P&P&Zombies is true to the form and spirit of the original, with the only changes being that the balls, visits, dinners and drives are spiced up with an occasional pack of zombies to be beheaded and burned.  Jane and Elizabeth are zombie hunters by nature and trained in the finest Shaolin style.  With sword, dagger, and musket, they hitch up their skirts and dispatch the undead mercilessly.  Plus a few not-so-undead (but that comes later.)

I would have liked if it had been a couple of chapters shorter and had a little more undeadly humor, but all in all, I wasn't disappointed.  It was LOL at times but maybe not ROTFL...plenty of snigger, smirk and chuckle.  (Which is good because I did most of my reading at work.)

The best part of all was the Reader's Discussion Guide at the end.  "We hope these questions will deepen your appreciation and enjoyment of this towering work of classical zombie literature."

No comments: