Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Not so gripping as some

The Drunken Botanist:
The  Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
by Amy Steward

I thought I'd love it--three of my favorite things: plants, history, and booze. But it didn't pull together for me. While I picked up some interesting tidbits, like how Applejack is made and why it can be so dangerous, I found myself skimming the last couple of sections.

It's subtitled, The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks and I didn't make the connection th

The alphabetical organization didn't work for me either. That made it difficult to read straight through--it was too much like reading the encyclopedia. As a reference work or something you flip through while on the bathroom throne, it works.  And you learn amazing things about the history of angostura bitters along with tidbits like,
at needed to include not just corn, wheat and rye but also hops, lime and cassis. Details of every seasoning or herb that goes into a Mai Tai just didn't fill me with with fascinated enthusiasm. (Maybe if I'd ever had a Mai Tai....)
If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of sitting in a bar when you are unwilling or unable to have a drink, order a club soda with bitters. It has the advantage of looking like a proper drink and is surprisingly restorative.
Alexander Von Humboldt would agree.

No comments: