Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Trip to Korea, Sixth Day

My face looks like a Halloween mask. Nose all scratched, chin all swollen, and a big red blotch in the center. Hmmm...maybe more like a scary clown.

The days are running together. Each night I put myself to sleep by trying to recall all the meals I ate since leaving Dallas. It's a very small number so it should be easy.  My son and May never seem to eat three meals in any one day--it's usually two and sometimes only one. I refuse to skip my breakfast, so I've been having one mini-banana--half of which is stolen by the little toddling one--one extra-large egg, and a small bowl of rice every morning.  It's like one of those weirdo crash diet regimens.
 

No matter--to go to sleep, I usually count One: tiny TV dinner on the plane; Two: ramen noodles on plane; Three: breakfast on plane which I skipped...and then I fall asleep.  Simple, but effective.

This morning we went jogging again. After one circle of the complex, Edward started doing sprints up ahead for about a city block, then turning around and walking back to join me.  I took advantage of the time when he was running ahead to slow...way...down.  Still I went a lot farther and faster than I would have done by myself. He has to get back in shape to take a physical training (PT) test when he returns from leave.  Something like a two-mile run, 40 pushups and 40 sit ups.  Glad it's him and not me.

 
More gardens.

 

After that we just drove over to the base to reserve a rental car for tomorrow and pick up a few groceries we missed last time. Also a quick trip to the Korean market to get some fish for a seafood broth. We ended up with a little packet of something that looked like sardines. They had whole fish, chopped into chunks like it was meant for the purpose, but it was awfully expensive. No matter--I love the place. Their fresh produce is lovely--it reminds me of the A&P back when I was growing up.

Edward and his dad made gumbo and dirty rice--we're trying to teach him how to cook better so he can take on some of the cooking while the kids are little.  It's good for him. The food came out well but neither May nor I especially cared for all the black pepper in it. Plus I don't think Korean food is nearly as spicy as some of the Chinese cuisines.

No comments: