Thursday, October 25, 2018

Recipe Reduction # 31

Enough fiddling around with these "Bread so easy" and "Slow-rise wonder" recipes. I followed my husband's advice (imagine that) and pulled out his copy of Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads.  After measuring the weight of it, I hoped it would disprove my theory that anyone can get a cookbook published so long as it's hefty enough. I had thought it was James Beard before I pulled it out, but no matter.  I have no idea if either of the guys really knows how to teach an idiot how to bake bread.

Mind you, I'm sure they can both bake bread. I'm sure they can whip up a warm, crusty loaf out of self-rising flour, Crisco and hundred-year-old yeast.  I'm sure the taste would bring me to tears. I trust them--

To bake. Not to teach.

But I'll give Mr. Clayton a chance and get started. Here are some early notes, from reading the introduction and the first few recipes.
1. Even though he says bread flour's higher gluten content will produce good results as to taste and texture, he doesn't explain whether there's any different treatment you need to give as you switch between them.
2. He says that the closest thing we can get to French flour is unbleached flour, but doesn't explain what the difference in taste or texture might be and how we might overcome the burden.
3. He says that butter is "one of the most highly regarded fats for baking." But the recipe I chose called for shortening, and several of the others did, too. No matter--I used butter.

I chose the Buttermilk Bread recipe, number eight from the front, and dived in. I used two cups of bread flour and the rest all-purpose.  When time came to beat in two and (optionally) one-half cups of additional flour, until it formed a ball around the dough hook, I did...but the dough was hopelessly not "bally". I tentatively added another half cup of flour and a little more.  Still not "bally" but creeping up the dough hook.

It was time to call it quits.  I probably should have hand-kneaded it until smooth because it was definitely not smooth. I just chucked it into the lightly greased bowl to rise for an hour.

So far so good--it rose a lot!  I gave it a little extra time because I'd started with water a little cooler than he recommends--lukewarm vs. 120-130. I'm sorry, but I've killed two many packets of yeast over the years to start adding hot water it on his recommendation.

I punched it down--how fun is that?--and made loaves. And it rose again!  Small miracle, don't you think?  And it didn't fall when I put it in the oven.  And it browned nicely and only stuck to the one pan I didn't butter enough.

The final verdict is---crust good, texture excellent, appearance great...Taste?

So-so.
Back to the drawing board.

No comments: