Saturday, February 26, 2022

Funny and not so inspiring, thank heavens

   

Operation Ironman:
One Man's Four Month Journey from Hospital Bed to Ironman Triathlon
George Mahood


Funny; touching; a little scary. It's a thrilling ride on which he takes us, and I for one enjoyed every minute. His hospital stories made me chuckle despite the scary aspect of doctors finding a "mass" on his spinal cord but wanting him to just wait and see if it grows. Which is odd, because in general I approve of the wait-and-see approach to doctoring. But maybe not as much as I thought.

Then his training stories are a hoot, of course. But the one surprising thing I found that made me love this book were the occasional snippets of family life that came out. Like his kids preferring him to Mommy on the trampoline, because he was more "bouncy". More fat, didn't you mean? No...more bouncy.  (Whew--they spared his feelings)

No comments: