Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Mammoth Goes to Matagorda, Day 10 return

Wednesday 19 January 2020

Bastrop State park to home
Actual time: 4:21


The drive wasn't too awfully suckish--I routed us onto the Pickle Parkway so we could zoom north at eighty miles per hour and then feed directly into I-35. For once google map routed us on west I-35 instead of east, so I didn't even have to do an override to take the route I preferred. There must have been some huge slowdowns on the shorter route.

deep thoughts during the drive:
As I age, I seem to be acquiring the ability to disassociate during an RV drive for long periods of time. I honestly don't remember any part of the road between Frisco and McKinney, and I was surprised when he started up MacDonald Street to cut through town. I don't think I was asleep, either.

Home, when it's cold outside and the place isn't too junked up, is a nice place to be. Except I have four envelopes from Blue Cross/Blue Shield dinging me for the first payment on my new Dental Insurance plan, plus one from the health plan. Didn't they ever hear of paperless?  I got all that in email, too.

The cats missed me but they got along just fine. And it's really nice having a house-sitter you can trust. The yard is full of butterbutts and birds of many descriptions, which wouldn't be true if my visitor hadn't kept the bird feeders full. I need to pay her when I go out.

But when i wasn't asleep during the drive, I kept thinking of how much I wanted to go somewhere else again, soon. Someplace cool--like Alaska, Costa Rica, or Hawaii. Maybe in July when it's too hot to go anywhere around home and the campsites are full of families and kids. And I wanted to get started planning an RV-ing trip for May. A long one.

So maybe that's the answer to how trips get started--as soon as I end one, I soothe away the feelings of letdown by starting to plan another.

Notes
1. When planning, remember that after the highlight of the trip is over, you won't be very interested in lingering in boring placing on the route back. Put the lingering steps of the trip up front.
2. Heed my urgent directive to  plan all routes up front and write them down. Google will take you on rods you don't want to travel.


No comments: