Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Still catching up on reviews of books from a few weeks ago

 Northbound: Tales From the Continental Divide
by Bridget Portmann

How do long distance travelers make themselves make notes on the trail? Enough notes to reconstruct a months-long trip afterwards, and write a book?

I don't know, but she did it. And well. Some scenes were so immediate that they made me shiver, imagining myself there. I'd feel the blisters on my feet, and feel the bone-weary tiredness she felt after a long and roundabout day.

Despite the awesome adventures and good writing, I was a little let down at the end. I felt like I'd traveled through an awesome environment but didn't experience it--I wanted animals, plants, rocks and trees, but got trail companions, restocking stops, bad motels and cheap eateries. All that was fun, but not what I wanted.

 But that's just me. She wrote about what was important to her, and I understand that at the end of a week living on bland oatmeal and protein bars, a hot meal in a burger joint is important indeed.


No comments: