Tuesday, October 24, 2023

A good memoir and a good mystery, lucky me

 Finding Me

by Viola Davis

Great memoir!  I wish I'd taken some notes about what I liked so much, but I only remember being excited to pick it up and reluctant to put it down. She's an exceptionally cool person too.

Sorry I can't provide more details. You might think my lack of memory about what I read is a bad mark against it, but it is simply a bad mark against my memory. I was traveling at the time I read it, too.  But even if the book itself was horrid (and it wasn't), just reading a memoir by such a hard-working, smart and funny woman who survived Hollywood is worth the experience.

Marigolds For Malice
by Bailey Cattrell

A third in the Enchanted Garden Mysteries series, and exactly as enjoyable as the first two.  But...no better. I'll still read another one, if there is one. She's gradually--very, very gradually--introducing an ominous magical theme that may turn into something very thrilling.

Or not. I still enjoy the stories, and although the mystery isn't really all that involved or exciting, the idle patter of her day-to-day life is enjoyable. And the "flower and herb lore" that she weaves in, whether real or make believe, is interesting.  And you have to wonder if she's ever going to spot a real fairy in her fairy garden. I wish I had one!  I should look into building one as a hobby someday.

No comments: