Sunday, October 15, 2023

Mammoth in the Land of Ups and Downs, Day 7

29 August 2023


We headed to Mt. Evans to take the scenic drive. The trip over there was exceedingly pretty and we delayed a little on account of my senility.  My brain had remembered that it was part of the Rocky Mountain National Park, and my park entrance permit for the day started at 11:00. So we dawdled, enjoying the overlooks.

And the ski slope on the way,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And yes, this below is snow.


 

But when we arrived I hiked up to the gate to see if we could go on in a little early, and the lady informed me that my Rocky Mountain pass was no good there--Mt. Evans has a different system managed by the City of Denver.  Luckily, we were able to secure one of the last available permits for the day.  But the stupidity of it all, was that I already had a permit--I'd reserved it months earlier back when I was setting up the rest of the trip.

Oh, well. We got to go and it was indeed awesomely wonder. And very, very crowded. But worth it.

 Bighorn sheep, I believe

Above treeline again!

 Marmot?

Marmot!


Had my eyes closed



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Made it!



Shaggy
Sheepy
Pika foraging
Pika surveying his territory

Now, that marmot was photogenic

I also saw a Mountain Chickadee. No picture, but still a lifer for me. 

And return to the pink mountains at sunset,


No comments: